Come to our Advocacy Center!
Our Advocacy Center is a one stop shop for people looking to make a difference in the county, state, and country. Volunteers who sign up for an advocacy time slot will be provided with a computer and all necessary equipment to make phone calls that motivate other Democrats to join the fight. We are open from Noon to 6:00 PM on Monday through Saturday, and would love to see you!
*Volunteers are welcome to come in without signing up, but they will have to provide their own laptop and phone if we do not have any extra.
We are located at:
418 West Michigan Ave
Ypsilanti, MI 48197
Can’t come to the advocacy center? Call representatives from home using our template here.
Want to help in other ways?
This Week’s Action Items
Senate Republicans have passed a package of bills that would allow weapons in gun-free zones, including schools, day cares, stadiums, and churches.
Urge State Representatives to Keep Guns Out of Gun-Free Zones
State Representative David Maturen: 517-373-1787
State Representative Chris Afendoulis 517-373-0218
State Representative Michael McCready: 517-373-8670
State Representative Julie Calley: 517-373-0842
State Representative Dave Pagel: 517-373-1796
State Representative Kathy Crawford: 517-373-0827
State Representative Brett Roberts: 517-373-1775
State Representative Daniela Garcia: 517-373-0830
State Representative Jason Sheppard: 517-373-2617
State Representative Larry Inman: 517-373-1766
State Representative Scott VanSingel: 517-373-7317
State Representative Jim Lilly: 517-373-0838
Hello, I am calling to urge Representative _______ to keep guns out of our schools, churches, and other gun-free zones by opposing the bill package passed by the senate. Putting guns into our schools and the places in our communities that are supposed to be safe puts everyone at risk. Please stand up where the senate has failed; vote no on this bill package.
Governor Snyder: 517-335-7858
Hello, I am calling to urge Governor Snyder to keep guns out of our schools, churches, and other gun-free zones by vetoing the bill package passed by the senate. Putting guns into our schools and the places in our communities that are supposed to be safe puts everyone at risk. The governor has stood up on this issue before by vetoing similar bills. I ask that he continue to protect our communities by vetoing it again if the legislature sends the package to his desk.
The following information was adapted by Patricia Chen from content by the Michigan League of Conservation Voters:
The Michigan Senate recently passed an environmentally ruinous package of bills: SB 652-654.
These bills create an oversight board for Michigan’s Department of Environmental Quality that would be stacked with industry representatives and corporate actors. The bills have now been sent to the House Natural Resources Committee. We are calling Michigan House Representatives to stop these dangerous bills. These bills are problematic for several reasons:
- Having regulated industries set Michigan’s environmental rules is like trusting the fox to guard the henhouse—it is fundamentally reckless to ask regulated industries to set their own rules when it comes protecting Michigan from environmental harm and pollution.
- These industry representatives and interest groups benefit directly from lax enforcement of environmental laws, and these bills would hand over authority for protecting our state’s environment to these unelected individuals who are on the payroll of polluting industries.
- Michigan communities (Flint’s water crisis; Washtenaw’s dioxane plume) know the very real dangers of polluted air and water. The stakes for poor environmental decision-making are incredibly high in our state.
- With the Trump Administration dead set on greatly weakening the US Environmental Protection Agency, this plan would leave Michigan doubly vulnerable. There will be no one to hold polluters accountable when they poison our families or devastate our natural areas.
- See this article for more information.
Calls to House Representatives:
Gary Howell: 517-373-1800
Scott VanSingel: 517-373-7317
David Maturen: 517-373-1787
Rob VerHeulen: 517-373-8900
Joseph Bellino: 517-373-1530
Holly Hughes: 517-373-3436
Daire Rendon: 517-373-3817
Larry Inman: 517-373-1766
Curt VanderWall: 517-373-0825
William Sowerby: 517-373-0159
Chris Afendoulis: 517-373-0218
Stephanie Chang: 517-373-0823
Michael McCready: 517-373-8670
Jeff Yaroch: 517-373-0820
Sara Cambensy: 517-373-0498
Hello, my name is ____ and I am a Michigan resident and voter. I am calling to urge Representative_____ to oppose SB 652-654 that will create an oversight board run by industry representatives for the DEQ. Having corporate actors set Michigan’s environmental rules is like trusting the fox to guard the henhouse— it is reckless to ask regulated industries to set their own rules when it comes to protecting our Michiganders from environmental harm and pollution. Don’t allow corporate interests to take priority over Michigan families’ health and our state’s environment. Please oppose the SB 652-654.