The Washtenaw County Democratic Party Convention will convene virtually via Zoom on Saturday, August 15th at 10 a.m. Registration will begin online (link forthcoming) and continue until 9:30 a.m. the day of the Convention. The purpose of this Convention shall be to elect one (1) male member to the Credentialing Committee and one (1) female alternate to the Platform & Resolutions Committee of the Michigan Democratic Party State Convention on August 29th & 30th and to consider resolutions and platform suggestions to be forwarded to the State Party. NOTE: This convention is for Washtenaw County Democratic Party members in the 7th Congressional District only.
Article IV Sections B & C of the MDP Rules stipulate the following qualifications for candidacy and eligibility to vote:
In order to hold Party office or vote at any Convention, Caucus, or meeting at any unit of the Michigan Democratic Party at any level, a person must be a member of the Michigan Democratic Party for at least thirty (30) days prior to that Convention, Caucus, or meeting. A Party member must be a qualified elector in order to vote on nominations for public office.
Precinct Delegates, Democratic elected officials, and Democratic nominees to partisan offices are exempt from the thirty (30) days advance membership requirement. However, Precinct Delegates, Democratic elected officials, and Democratic nominees to partisan office must be member in order to vote and may join the same day as the Convention, Caucus, or meeting.
1. Call to Order
2. Election of Permanent Convention Chair
(This is the person who will chair the convention)
3. Appointment of Convention Secretary
(This will be the official record keeper of the convention. This person will also be responsible for sending minutes and results to the State Party)
4. Credential Report
(This is a report out of all credentialed delegates for the convention)
5. Rules Report
(This will be the time to review and accept voting procedure for the convention)
6. Election of Convention Committee Members & Alternates
(State allocation by office and gender)
7. Resolution and Platform Planks Consideration
8. Good & Welfare
- Proceedings of the Convention shall be conducted according to the Rules of the Michigan Democratic Party, the Convention Call, these Rules, and Robert’s Rules of Order, newly revised, unless otherwise provided.
- Actions to approve the Credential Report, Rules Report, Election of Convention Committee Members, and Resolutions shall require a simple majority.
- The Chair shall have authority to reject consideration of a motion that is deemed improper or dilatory. A motion shall be considered improper when it conflicts with the DNC Charter, MDP Rules, or an action previously taken by the Democratic Party.
- Eligibility and voting procedures at Convention:
- In order to vote as a Delegate at the Convention, a person other than a precinct delegate, Democratic elected official, or Democratic nominee to partisan office must be a member of the Michigan Democratic Party for at least thirty (30) days prior to August 13, 2016. Precinct delegates, Democratic elected officials, and Democratic nominees to partisan office must be a member of the Michigan Democratic Party on August 13, 2016 and may become members that day when they receive their credentials.
- No less than forty percent (40%) of the enrolled Democrats registering at the Convention constitute a quorum for any business.
- No proxies may be used.
- The unit rule, or any rules or practice whereby all members of a party unit, delegation or caucus may be required to cast their votes in accordance with the will of a majority of the body, shall not be permitted.
- Voice votes shall be permitted on the floor of convention and may be used to address convention business properly brought before the body.
- If a voice vote is inconclusive or improper under the circumstances, a hand vote shall be used except where a roll call is properly requested or required.
- Roll Call votes where proportional voting is applicable shall require voting by hand vote and may be reported as the actual vote to the Convention/ Caucus Chair who shall then compute the proportionate vote on the question, or may be reported as the already computed proportional vote.
- The Chair of the Convention shall be allowed to exercise discretion in presenting Democrats to address the Convention.
State Convention Committee Meetings
Platform & Resolutions
Dates: Wednesday, August 19, 2020 and Thursday, August 20, 2020
Time: 7:00 PM EST/6:00 PM CST
Place: Meeting will be held virtually
Agenda: The Committee shall meet to consider resolutions proposed by County and District Conventions for the State Convention’s consideration and to recommend a two-year party platform.
The Committee shall meet at the call of the Chair of the Michigan Democratic Party at the convention if necessary.
Please direct all questions to me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org