Tonight we have lost a man who changed the United States of America for the better. John Dingell was not only the longest serving member of the United States House of Representatives, he was a key figure in nearly every progressive initiative, legislation, law, and policy of the past several decades:
- The Clean Air Act
- The Civil Rights Act
- The Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
- The Endangered Species Act
- The National Environmental Policy Act
- The Pollution Prevention Act
- The FDA Food Safety Modernization Act
- The Energy Policy and Conservation Acts of 1975 & 1976
- The Affordable Care Act (“Obamacare”)
But more than that, John Dingell was a man of dignity and strength, a man who encouraged everyone in his orbit to be better, to try harder, and to work to make America a more perfect union.
Our hearts are broken at the loss of this giant among men and women and we send all of our love, positive energy, prayers, and white light to his beloved wife Debbie Dingell and their family in this time of sorrow.
We will share more when the information becomes available.
Chris Savage, WCDP Chair