Saturday, March 4 @ 9:45 am – 12:00 pm
Video up! See below ⬇️ or watch on Youtube 📺
Program: The Housing and Homelessness Crisis in Washtenaw County
There has been a significant spike in people experiencing homelessness in Washtenaw County this winter, especially families who cannot find housing. Local housing and homelessness service providers and others involved with the crisis informed us about the impact of the lack of housing on the most vulnerable in our community, and its negative effects for education, business, health care systems, and so many other aspects of life across the county.
We were also joined by elected representatives for conversation and Q&A about legislative work in Lansing and in the County Board of Commissioners.
Organization business and Conversations with our Legislators
- U.S. Rep. Debbie Dingell, with updates on business in D.C., including her bill to protect domestic violence survivors from gun violence.
- Rep. Carrie Rheingans, on proposed legislation for Michigan to join the National Popular Vote Initiative
- State Rep. Jason Morgan (HD23) and State Senator Sue Shink (SD14) will discuss the package of gun violence prevention bills introduced in the last two weeks
- Senator Jeff Irwin, Chair, Housing and Human Services Committee, will speak to Democratic legislative action on the homelessness crisis.
Homelessness Program & Panel
- Judge Cedric Simpson
- County Commissioner Andy LaBarre
- Amanda Carlisle, Executive Director of the Washtenaw Housing Alliance,
- Aubrey Patiño Executive Director Avalon Housing
- Morghan Boydston, Human Services Manager, OCED/Office of Community and Economic Development.